I received this book for free from . This review is voluntary. My opinion is not influenced in any way.Fixin' to Die on June 14, 2016
Buy on Amazon • Buy on Barnes & Noble
Kenni Lowry likes to think the zero crime rate in Cottonwood, Kentucky is due to her being sheriff, but she quickly discovers the ghost of her grandfather, the town’s previous sheriff, has been scaring off any would-be criminals since she was elected. When the town’s most beloved doctor is found murdered on the very same day as a jewelry store robbery, and a mysterious symbol ties the crime scenes together, Kenni must satisfy her hankerin’ for justice by nabbing the culprits.
With the help of her Poppa, a lone deputy, and an annoyingly cute, too-big-for-his-britches State Reserve officer, Kenni must solve both cases and prove to the whole town, and herself, that she’s worth her salt before time runs out.
Fixin’ to Die Character Interview
Character’s full name: Poppa or Sheriff Sims
A short bio on this character: I’m not your typical character. I was the sheriff of my small town of Cottonwood, Kentucky for longer than I count. But that don’t matter now. What matters is that my granddaughter, Kendrick Lowry- Kenni Bug for short, was elected to sheriff in Cottonwood. You see, I’m dead. I died of a massive heart attack before she was elected, so I made it my ever-after mission to keep her safe. I’ve been busy! I’ve been scaring off any would be criminals for the past two years. It wasn’t until recently that I realized I couldn’t be in two places at once when someone killed Doc Walton and broke into White’s Jewelry. So when I showed up at Kenni Bug’s house in my ghost form, she didn’t take it so well. Needless to say, I ain’t leaving and since Deputy Lonnie Lemer retired, Kenni Bug needs a new deputy. Might as well be me.
1. How did you first meet your writer? Tonya was watching Longmire and she thought it would be cool to have a girl sheriff. Of course I knew it would be a lot more fun if she included me, so I tiptoed into Tonya’s head and the rest is history.
2. Want to dish about him/her? Awe, I like Tonya well enough. She’s got a lot going on in that head of hers so I have to push people out of the way to get my story told.
3. Did you ever think that your life would end up being in a book? No! I am a simple man from a small town. I like to stop and talk to everyone at the Cowboy’s Catfish diner, play a little craps down on the river and maybe sip a beer or two. Simple man.
4. Tell us about your favorite scene in the book. I love when Kenni Bug first realizes that I’m there and ready to help her. You know I can just ghost right on through a wall and see things people on the outside can’t.
5. Did you have a hard time convincing your author to write any particular scenes for you? Nah. Tonya listens and if she doesn’t listen to me, then I can make sure she writes herself into a corner so it forces her to go back and fix it.
6. What do you like to do when you are not being actively read somewhere? I like to sit in Kenni Bug’s back yard with Duke, her dog that I bought her and play fetch with him.
7. What are you most afraid of? I’m afraid my Kenni Bug is going to get into a situation I can’t help her with. Her heart! There’s this young man, Finn Vincent, from the Kentucky State Reserve that has been sent in to help Kenni Bug and he is a big talker. I can see it in her eyes just like I saw it in her mama’s eyes before she married Kenni’s daddy.
8. Describe the town where you live. Cottonwood is a place you can walk down the street and wave to anyone coming by. We like to stop and ask about family. We look out for each other. We might have some difference, but in hard times we come together. We don’t have any of those fancy stores. Just some, home-grown shops along with some really good diners. Now don’t mind the Auxiliary women. They are a bit nosy so they will question you without a care in the world.
9. Will you encourage your author to write a sequel? Will I? She is! She’s got a three book contract and it’s only getting better from here!
Fixin’ to Die by Tonya Kappes is the first book in the brand new Kenni Lowry Mystery Series and I absolutely adored it! Kenni is sheriff of Cottonwood, Kentucky, an elected position she won following the death of the previous sheriff, her Poppa. After two years of a crime-free Cottonwood, there’s suddenly a murder and robbery that seem strangely connected. Besides the crimes, Kenni starts to think she’s going crazy – she keeps hearing her Poppa’s voice. Turns out, Poppa’s ghost is the reason the crime rate has been zilch – and he’s finally revealed his ghostly self to Kenni and is trying to help her solve the murder and the robbery before anything else happens in Cottonwood.
Kenni, Poppa, Finn, and all the other quirky characters made Cottonwood, Kentucky, a fabulous fictional town. I loved the setting and the dialogue. The characters and the story felt real and believable. The mystery was well done, with enough twists and turns that I didn’t figure out whodunit until it was revealed to me. I love Tonya’s books, and this one is no exception. The mystery, paranormal aspect, and hint of a possible romance all had me engrossed in this book from the first page to the last. I cannot wait for more in the Kenni Lowry series, and for my next visit to Cottonwood, Kentucky. Fixin’ to Die by Tonya Kappes is a fantastic paranormal cozy mystery that you just have to read. Highly recommended!
Would you like to win an eBook copy of Fixin’ to Die by Tonya Kappes? Well, you’re in luck, because she is letting me give one away. Thank you, Tonya! 😀 For your chance to win, enter using the Giveaway Tools widget below. See giveaway widget for complete rules and regulations. Brooke Blogs is not responsible for prize fulfillment in the giveaway, and social media sites listed are not involved in any way. Giveaway will run until 6/23/16 at 11:59PM. Stop back each day for free daily entries. Good luck!
1,785 total views, 2 views today
i want to read this because so far i absolutely loved all i read from Tonya and i want more!
thank you for the giveaway
I want to read this because I really like mysteries and this sounds like a good one!
This sounds wonderful!! Can’t wait to read it! Loved the interview!
I’m a big Tonya fan and love reading her stories.
A captivating novel by a wonderful author.
Tonya’s books are fun to read! Based on title alone, know Fixin to Die! will be fun read!
I love Tonya’s books and look forward to each one! I can’t wait to read this one, it looks like a fun series!
Can’t wait to read Tonya’s new book. Love her books.
Sounds like a good story, and I know I enjoy reading Tonya.
Sounds like such a fun read!
Why? I am a big fan of Tonya Kappes…she could write a grocery list, and I’d be eager to read it. She offers humor and a delightful story providing me a fun read! Ghosts, again? She does such a great job with ghosts… Have you seen many, Tonya?
I want to read this because I like the cover and plot 🙂
Edye | http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW BOOK AND THANKS FOR THE GIVEAWAY!
I don’t see a lot of mysteries anymore that catch my attention… but the writeup for this one did!
Sounds like a great book that I would enjoy!
Enjoying this book
I love mysteries this sounds like a great read love to read it