Disclosure: I received electronic copies of the book(s) here in exchange for a fair and honest review. My opinion is my own and was not influenced by anything.
How far would you go for love?
Since losing her parents at 14, young prodigy Dr. Lydia Ashley has focused on one thing: an appointment on the Deep Water Research Command Endure. Now 21, she’s about to realize that dream, but nothing is how she imagined it would be. Her transitional sponsor forgets her, her new lab is in complete chaos, and, as if that weren’t enough, she’s about to discover something so horrific it could potentially destroy all life on the planet.
Daniel Brewer, a noted playboy and genius in his own right, may be exactly what she needs… Or he may make everything worse.
Has she finally found a puzzle she can’t solve?
Tech genius Daniel Brewer isn’t the only one with a romantic history. Already weighed down with the impossible problem of the Maven Initiative’s plans for world domination and disaster, Dr. Lydia Ashley is finding it more and more difficult to keep things in balance. With an old flame reappearing and the schemes of a vindictive new rival thrown into the mix, her hopes for a life with Daniel may be on the brink of annihilation.
When Lydia’s past is brought to light, one big secret could destroy everything.
My Review of Maven
Maven by S. A. Huchton is one of those books that take you by surprise. I’m always a bit leary of reading science fiction, because I’m not sure what I’ll think. And then, bam, along comes S. A. Huchton and blows all my pre-conceived notions outta the water. 🙂 This book is more than just science fiction, or romance. This book feels like a true story. I was submersed in the characters and their lives. I can’t wait to read and review Nemesis! Real life got in my way, again, of reading and reviewing this one in time. I’ll post the review when I finish Nemesis.
Admittedly, this is a subjective list. Everyone has their own quirks and things that get their heart racing, but these are the keys to my heart when it comes to men of fiction (or the real life kind, for that matter).
1. Brains. He’s gotta be smart. I don’t care how good-looking a guy is, if he can’t hang with my witty banter (lol), we’re done here. Move along.
2. Humor. There’s a time and a place for being serious, but being able to inject light-heartedness into a devastating moment is a true gift that can make an earth-shattering situation look less bleak. There’s nothing like a guy that can make me smile.
3. Geek knowledge. If I can’t have an in-depth conversation with him over the latest comic book film adaptation or the newest hottest thing in genre fiction, yawn. Know your memes and we will always have something to talk about!
4. Strength. And I’m not talking about an ability to benchpress 200 pounds. I want to know that when my world collapses, this guy will have my back and be able to hold me up when I can’t do so for myself.
5. Morals. Now, this is a gray area. Everyone has their own opinions on what’s right and wrong, but I need to know this guy has his own compass. When there’s evil afoot, he’ll put a stop to it regardless of the pressures of the outside world. This one goes hand-in-hand with strength. You can have all the principles in the world, but you need a backbone to stick to them.
6. Loyalty. He’s mine and he lets me know it. Real relationships are based on trust, and without that, it falls apart. I need to know that I’m his world as much as he is mine.
7. Desire. When he looks at you, you know that spark in his eyes is for no one but you. Nothing makes you feel sexier than being wanted and the object of your affection telling you so.
8. Tenderness. He knows when you’re struggling and is smart enough to give you what you need: whether that’s personal space, reassuring words, or only his presence.
9. Heroism. He doesn’t have to leap in front of a bus for me, or throw himself on a grenade, but even the smallest acts of kindness can make him a hero in my eyes. Like when my husband sees me struggling with our Minions and absconds with them before my head explodes. It takes a real hero to rescue me from pre-teen angst and confrontation. It’s the little things.
10. Forgiveness. Admittedly, I do dumb things from time to time. I make mistakes. Everyone does. But, it takes a real partner in life to call me on my BS, and then find a way to help me fix it. That ability to forgive and help overcome is crucial. It’s also incredibly sexy.
So that’s my list. What would you add?
About the Author
Starla Huchton released her first novel, The Dreamer’s Thread, as a full cast podcast production beginning in August 2009. Her first foray went on to become a double-nominee and finalist for the 2010 Parsec Awards. Since her debut, Starla’s voice has appeared in other podcasts including The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine, The Drabblecast, and Erotica a la Carte. She is also a voice talent for Darkfire Productions, and narrates several of their projects, including The Emperor’s Edge series, This Path We Share, and others. Her writing has appeared in the Erotica a la Carte podcast, an episode of the Tales from the Archives podcast (the companion to Tee Morris and Philippa Balantine’s Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series), which garnered her a second finalist badge from the 2012 Parsec Awards, and a short story for The Gearheart (earning her a third Parsec finalist badge). Her second novel, a Steampunk adventure entitled Master of Myth, was the first place winner in the Fantasy/Science Fiction category of The Sandy Writing Contest held annually by the Crested Butte Writers Conference. Maven was her third completed novel and the first in a planned series of four, being released under the name S. A. Huchton. Nemesis is the second in the Endure series.
After completing her degree in Graphic Arts, Starla opened up shop as a freelance graphic designer focusing on creating beautiful book covers for independent authors and publishers. She currently lives in Virginia where she trains her three Minions and military husband.
An Angkor Wat postcard signed by Daniel
Sandalwood Vanilla goat’s milk soap handcrafted in small batches by Haldecraft
3 oz of Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearls (green tea) from Teavana
Stonewear infuser mug with lid
MAVEN and NEMESIS postcards with party mustaches!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Brooke Blogs is not responsible for prize fulfillment in the Maven and Nemesis by S. A. Huchton giveaway.
289 total views, 1 views today