Octavia Leander, a young healer with incredible powers, has found her place among Miss Percival’s medicians-in-training. Called to the frontlines of a never-ending war between Caskentia and the immoral Wasters, the two women must uncover the source of a devastating illness that is killing thousands of soldiers. But when Octavia’s natural talents far outshine her teacher’s, jealousy threatens to destroy their relationship—as time runs out to save the encampment.
Fans of Beth Cato’s debut, The Clockwork Dagger, will love this journey into Octavia’s past—as well as an exclusive excerpt from the sequel, The Clockwork Crown!
Ten Random Things by Beth Cato
1) When I was three, I planned to be Popeye the Sailor when I grew up. I ended up marrying a Navy sailor instead!
2) I love cheese and I get the fancy stuff to chop up for my salads.
3) As a baby, my first words were “Mom” and then “Star Wars.”
4) When I was in eighth grade, I won a national journalism award for my monthly Super Nintendo column in the school paper.
5) I worked for almost three years as a night stocker at a 24-hour Wal-mart. The experience still provides a lot of fuel for my writing.
6) I was a horse-crazy kid. Some of my favorite stories I have written are all about horses, too–I never lost that love.
7) My husband’s co-workers accuse me of trying to murder them via sugar with the delicious cookies I send along to work.
8) If I had a time machine, I would visit my home region of the San Joaquin Valley of California and see how it was before widespread settlement and geographic change.
9) I adore cats. My cat Porom is fifteen and often sleeps by my feet beneath my computer desk.
10) I live on the edge of Phoenix, Arizona, and I really, really miss greenery and trees.
About the Author
Beth Cato hails from Hanford, California, but currently writes and bakes cookies in a lair outside of Phoenix, Arizona. She shares the household with a hockey-loving husband, a number-obsessed son, and a cat the size of a canned ham.